Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter Sports

I am currently sitting in my living room watching the Winter Olympic Games. The skiing, snowboarding, and figure skating. They are all so exciting. On that note...I recently took my kids ice skating. I have been before but it has been many years so I was afraid that I would not be able to do it. It took some time but I did pretty well. Hannah just puts her skates on and takes off like she has done this everyday since birth. She gets bored waiting on Scott and I and just says, "see you later..."
I was very proud of Scott. If you know Scott, you know that he is a quitter. He will try something once (if you are lucky) and if he does not get it perfect the first time he is done. He tried very hard and did not quit even though he did fall a few times. It was a lot of fun and I really felt it the next day. Makes you realize how out of shape you really are when you can't walk the next day.

We also recently went skiing for the first time ever! My sister-in-law, her son, Scott, Hannah, and my self went to Ski Beech.

My Mother-in-law offered to pay for part of it if we all wanted to go. So since I have always wanted to try it and figured I would not get another chance at such a discounted rate...I went for it. We signed up for the training class. Our instructor was a young girl with short sleeves and a vest. Yes...I said short sleeves. Did I mention that it was cloudy and snowing! Anyway, she also had a very interesting personality, and not in a good way. But we all came away from the class ready to ski. So we went down the training/bunny slope a couple of times until we felt comfortable. We then decided to try the green slope. We all got on the ski lift and got to the top of the hill OK.

But it was on the way down that the problems came. Hannah once again just goes down the mountain like it is second nature. Scott did pretty well with a couple of mishaps. But I, on the other hand, did not even make it a quarter of the way down before I just gave up and walked down. And did not try that again! Hannah went down the green slope two more times and then decided she was good enough to go down the yellow slope (she was). That's your Yankee roots Hannah!
As I waited that the bottom of the slope, I saw Scott on his way down. He was having a very hard time. But he did not give up. When he finally made it to the bottom, I told him he could stop, but he really didn't want to. This is such a change in him. I was shocked.

I really have a new found respect for people that ski and ice skate. They make it look so easy but it is really not. And I will not be making that mistake again.
GO USA!